Equinox: Sowing Hope in Troubled Times

These are not times that sit easy.

At its 10th anniversary, the Iraq war rises to remind us what a hideous, unconscionable, brutal waste it was and still is. Then there is the Steubenville trial and the vast evidence — finally being spoken at large — of rape culture and its effects upon us all… Cyprus and the European Union and all our economies which are Not. Getting. Better. Another black teen killed by police… I could point to many things that are making us uneasy. But really, things are often just this way.

In the northern hemisphere, Spring is here. It is a season of in between: is it raining, or snowing, or sunny? The light is changing and our bodies feel that, animals that we are. We are stretching toward the sun.

Today is equinox, when night and day are balanced. Light and darkness are present in equal measure. What about inside our hearts and souls? What about our thoughts? In the midst of pain and sorrow, do we harbor hope and joy?

It is imperative that we do so.

The first lettuces are growing in my garden. Somewhere, one person is helping another. A chimpanzee gazes at blue sky. A painter is painting. A singer sings. A tree is rooting deep and standing tall. People stand together for justice, saying, “We will not leave you in your pain alone!”

We recognize connection. We are each part of this changing world.

What is something that inspires you? What is a story that made you smile this week? What are your hopes in this time of equinox? Please share them with us. Please pass them on.

By sharing our stories, we weave a spell of hope together. Let us plant something. Let us hatch a plan of love.

We may as well.

16 Responses to “Equinox: Sowing Hope in Troubled Times”

1. Nathania

I work with individuals, cultivating self-healing through therapeutic yoga. Each interaction is miraculous to me. I am inspired by my students’ bravery, their perseverance, their epiphanies large and small. That I get to witness their process and growth is a privilege and an honor.

Nathania,

I find that same thing when I teach or see spiritual direction clients. I’m glad you’ve shared this with us. Thank you.

2. Soli

I was unable to join them but two of my local friends and ritual partners are celebrating the holiday today, and I will be doing something on my own tonight.

And this weekend I will be celebrating an anniversary with another of my spiritual families.

3. Judith B

Today I am naming the things that bind me, and then dancing to raise energy and break hose bonds. Every day I work with survivors of domestic violence and sexual abuse, and it gets difficult to remember the good. But the Earth is a beautiful place, and there are wonderful people out there. Hold onto that!

4. Leni

I have felt so weighed down by the news of the anniversary and from Ohio, as well as triggered and at times despairing. But coming home last night, despite the sadness and not feeling the light-heartedness of Ostara at all, I was able to feel deep gratitude for my kids being safe, my husband being an excellent partner and dad, and that this year my health will permit me to get in my garden and dig. It felt like a victory, like it was giving balance to the sadness.

5. Janus Blume

Ostara. Darkness is equal to light, but light is growing. You’d have to be hiding in a very deep, dark cave to miss the outrage being expressed about the media response to the Steubenville verdict. Rape culture, darkness, patriarchal dismissal of a girl’s value. Outrage, growing light, a cultural shift. Yes, it is the equinox.

6. Dee

In talking with a blind co-worker, I felt a deep joy and gratitude for my sight.

7. Samara

Whole Foods and Trader Joes have declared that even if GMO salmon is approved, they won’t be selling it. I find it hopeful that although the government won’t listen to strong public opposition, the private sector is paying attention and responding. You may have also seen the announcement a couple weeks ago that Whole Foods will be phasing in GMO labeling over the next several years. I’m not a huge fan of either retailer, but they have huge influence over the industry so I consider this a victory. http://www.sfgate.com/science/article/Whole-Foods-Trader-Joe-s-ban-GMO-salmon-4372042.php

8. Rosalind Lord

On March 11, nine days before the spring equinox, the marketing, import, and sale of animal-tested cosmetics and their ingredients are banned in the European Union (EU):

bit.ly/VuahA1